Man repeatedly shocked with Taser by LAPD died from enlarged heart and cocaine use, coroner says

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (AP) - An autopsy released on Friday revealed that a teacher who had been shocked repeatedly with a Taser device by Los Angeles Police died of an enlarged cardiac and cocaine abuse.

Keenan Darnell Andersen, 31, died on Jan. 3, causing a public outcry about the Los Angeles Police Department’s use of force. This was one of three deadly LAPD encounters that included two shootings just days into the New Year.

Anderson's cause of death is not known, but it was listed as the 'effects on cardiomyopathy from cocaine consumption'. His death was "determined after restraints and the use of conducted energy devices."

Coroner's Report


The Associated Press did not respond immediately to an email sent Friday evening by The Associated Press seeking comments on the story.

Anderson taught English at a Washington, D.C. high school and was a cousin to Black Lives Matter founder Patrisse Cullors.

Police said he was visiting his family in Los Angeles at the time he was arrested on suspicion of causing an accident and then fleeing in the Venice area.

According to police, Anderson was found 'running down the street in an erratic manner'.

Anderson first complied as officers investigated whether he had been under the influence. But then, he fled, said Police Chief Michel Moore.

The police chased Anderson, and during the struggle he was shocked at least six time with a Taser when he refused to be arrested.

Anderson said, "They're George Floyding me," as the officer threatened to use an electric stun gun. The weapon was fired repeatedly seconds later, as Anderson lay face down on a pavement, begged for assistance, and declared, "I'm not fighting back."

Anderson screamed out for help when he was repeatedly shocked and pinned down by police officers.

police body camera footage

LAPD released a video. The footage also shows an officer placing his elbow and forearm in Anderson's neck, as well as pressing his forearm against his chest.

Anderson shouted, 'They are trying to kill me.

Anderson, after being subdued by the police, went into cardiac arrhythmia and died in a hospital four hours later.

Before filing a lawsuit, his relatives filed a claim for $50 million with the city. This is a requirement under law. In the claim, officers are accused of using deadly force without reason, failing to follow their training and filing false police reports.